Rose Park Vet

Common Toxins and Poisons

Just like us, animals can be allergic to different products, however there are some common chemicals and products that are toxic or poisonous to our beloved pets.

  • All brands of snail and slug bait are dangerous. Keep all packets locked away from your pets. If you feel you must use it, ensure that your dog does not have access to the garden until all the pellets are dissolved. If snail bait is ingested by your pet, it quickly leads to convulsions and is a medical emergency. If you think your pet has eaten any snail bait, contact a veterinary service immediately.
  • Rat poisons are toxic to all pets. They are slower insidious killers and signs are often not seen until it is too late. Ensure you use rat poison safely and pets are not indirectly poisoned by eating the remains of poisoned rats.
  • Chocolate in large quantities can be poisonous, even fatal. Avoid feeding any chocolate products to your pet. Keep it for yourself!
  • Lilies are exceedingly toxic to cats and can lead to renal failure if ingested. They are a lovely gift and look great in the garden, but are very harmful to cats and kittens, so keep them out of reach of cats.

If you suspect that your pet has eaten any of these products, then seek veterinary attention immediately. We can induce vomiting in many cases or administer antidotes to flush these toxins from the system before the effects become life threatening. Speed is the key!

If you live in a snake prone area then watch for Brown and Tiger snakes. Snakebites can be fatal in pets. Early snakebite symptoms in your pets include weakness and collapse. If you notice these symptoms, contact a veterinary service for immediate antidote treatment.



Losing your Best Friend

You can never really imagine that you are going to lose your special friend one day.
We all hope that they will just quietly go to sleep one night at home however in many cases it will be you who will need to make the decision to let them go. This decision is extremely difficult however you are not alone - we are here to help guide you through this time and ensure that you are comfortable with your decision that the time is right to say goodbye.

Most pets have an average life span of around 12 years. Many live longer and unfortunately some shorter.

In terms of the ageing pet it all really boils down to quality of life. Are they happy?  Can they do the things they used to do ?  Are they suffering or in pain ?
All of these questions can be talked through with us so that you really do have a complete picture of where things really stand and you can make the decisions that you need to. The most important thing is to do what is right for your pet even if it means that you suffer yourself.
We are not going to push you into any rash decisions nor are we going to let your pet suffer needlessly when maybe you cannot see thet they are.

A decision usually involves the entire family unit talking and voicing their own opinions and discussing these with us.

When the time does come then we will guide you through the process. Your pet will not know what is going to happen. We use an extremely strong anaesthetic solution that is usually injected into a vein on their front leg. They may feel the needle tip going through the skin however no more than an ordinary injection. It will take only a few seconds for the solution to induce a total loss of consciousness and then soon after the breathing and heart will stop.You may wish to be with your pet or you may not - the decision is yours.

Most euthanased pets are cremated - you can choose wether to have their ashes returned to you or not. Some people like to bury them at home.
Whatever your decision here you can be assured we treat your pet with the utmost dignity.

At such a difficult time it is our aim to ensure that you have made the correct decision at the correct time. Overall you should walk away with the feeling that it was the right decision and you can now focus on all the great times you shared together. We want you to feel privelaged for the time you spent together.

A wonderful anonymus verse sums it all up...............

 If it should be that I grow frail and weak,
 And pain should keep me from my sleep.
 Then, you must do what must be done.
 For this last battle can not be won.

You will be sad I understand
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day more than the rest,
Your love and friendship stand the test.

We've had so many happy years,
What is to come can hold no fears.
You do not want me to suffer, so,
When the time comes, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me until the end.
And hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know, in time you will see,
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail it's last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.



Should you have any questions in regards this matter please don't hesitate to give us a call.





 

Return to Preventative Medicine.